All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Worries about diesel engine
    PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:14 pm 

Your car: Mitsubishi 380
Hey guys.. Um new on this forum and I'm looking seriously into buying a e50 Elgrand for towing purposes.
I would like the 3.0 neo turbo diesel engine( better for towing).
I have a few questions about the engine. I have read that they have had a few problems in the past, but also heard that the neo version has alot of these problems fixed up.
Can anyone inform me about what problems still happen with that engine, as well as what could be done to fix them.
I sent an email to turboglide in woolengong and they told me they do a kit for $2100+fitting. But they didn't tell me what any if the problems were or if the problems were still happening with the direct injection system.
Thanks so much guys.

Re: Worries about diesel engine
    PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:46 pm 

Your car: Mitsubishi 380
I found it out on the patrol forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 pm 

Your car: celica
Welcome Malcolm, I got my Hwaystar 2000, 3L Neodi all mode 4x4 around 6 months ago. Like you, Iwas worried about diesel, coz I never ever had a diesel car before. So I did alot of research on all websites just google them, I found this forum great and the UK one too. I got mine from a dealer in sydney parra rd. I got it indep checked. I thought I was paying heaps for mine, but with alot of hard work & good negotiation skills, i now realize and peolpe tell me I had a great deal,,,,,,,Well may be!.

At first it was very thirsty for a diesel, then I took it to Simon at Jax, and did a superb job on it and he knows Elgrand's well. It is now performing like new. What I can say is I had no problems or issues with my ride, I realy enjoy/love my ride and its performance etc. Malcolm as long as you get a clean van in first place, you should be fine, so try to get a good warranty with a dealer too( get the best warranty there is), well thats what I did and thats my insurance for un-expected problems in future.

By the way the diesel is abit sluggish than petrol, but hey its about 2.3 tons(the all mode 4x4 that is). and what do you expect its a luxury van. ( You want a fast ride ....get a skyline or an EVO!) Elgrand's are the rides of a mature and respectable adults!!!.............WITH CLASSSSSSSSS!!!

In my opinion the van is worth every cent and effort i had put in to it. I LOVE IT!!! Malcolm good luck and hope we see you in the MEET & GREET!!!

Cheers Elgrand :roll:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
Elgrand

Last edited by elgrand on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm 

Your car: 07 HwyStar
Great post Elgrand, our vans are the best in Australia :lol: :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:03 am 

Your car: apwe50xl
hi Malcom

i too looked seriously at the zd30 powered elgrand. we went vq35 for a few reasons

-hard to find 7 seaters with zd30, and they were series I ie prior to aug 2000, no series II zd30 had 7 seats
-hard to find zd30 with logbooks & or real odometer reading that were not inexcess of 150k
-hard to find facts on differences between all the zd30s ie is the 2007 patrol zd30crm a neodi?
-vague japanese forum threads suggested issues with zd30 (convoluted google translated searches)
- i am not diesel savvy
- beware no nsw dealer warranty if vehicle 10years+, please correct me if i'm wrong
-cost to replace/recondition zd30 can be $4- $10k
-extensive patrol4x4.com searches were not encouraging
-cost analysis of extra cost of 98ron petrol (based on 15000km pa of 70% city driving) vs replacing turbo/fuel pump/recon motor
-vq35 excellent motor
-may be able to convert vq35 to lpg (tho not cheap esp liquid)
-do/did we really need diesel

essentially it boiled down to too many unknowns for us

ps for the life of me i dont know why this type of vehicle (ie inc toyota alphard) are not available here. imo there are no better value people movers (with awd if you want it) on the market here. caravelle probably comes closest. couldnt say i love it, but we are proud elgrand owners!

ps we've (family of 6) just returned from 10 days camping - ok roof racks but no trailer, suggest you put polyair bags or similar in the rear suspension tho

regards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 pm 

Your car: E50 HIGHWAY STAR
I love my 3.2 QD32ETI engine, Did a few mods to it and it's definitely not sluggish pretty quick for a 2 Ton brick.

With the Neo diesel I would do a few things right off the bat. Make sure the turbo is not blown and no overheating issues. 3.0 Neo diesel are know for this just like in the Nissan Patrols. Lots of good info on the overboosting issue with these and the cause on the patrol forum. One of the first mods would be a manual boost controller to prevent the overboost condition from happening. Second a oil catch can, 3rd EGR block off. The Neo's get a butt ton of carbon build up and make sure your MAF sensor is clean. One of my buddies in the Philippines MAF took a crap on him and it really put the vehicle in almost a limp home mod. He was making very little power.

It's not pretty

I did not feel like taking the chance on getting a bad ZD30 and have to put money in it so I stuck with the 3.2, besides with my few mods its way more powerful and less cost to maintain. I also run 2T engine oil in a 200:1 ratio in every tank of fuel, made it run so much quieter and smoother at idle.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____
1998 HIGHWAY STAR, cold air intake, water/alcohol/LPG injected. 23psi boost, dyno last dyno 180hp/450lbs at the wheels. Nordskog gauges, Remote bypass oil filtration, Inline transmission filter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:26 pm 

Your car: Nissan Stagea
There are a LOT of ZD30 engines in Australia, so my reasoning is that the stories of blown engines are a sizeable minority, and not the majority.

It seems to come down to maintenance. Possibly these cars need higher maintenance than others, or people just push them too far between services, or dont service the right things??

One thing that is vital is to clean the MAF sensor regularly.

I'm looking at a ZD30 elgrand, and I'm not keen on blocking the EGR (since this isn't just for emissions, it also affects fuel economy, and boost as was mentioned earlier), but I do plan to inspect and clean it every so often, maybe twice a year?

A manual boost controller may be good to have too - I recommend the turbotech ones on ebay - highly recommended on skylinesaustralia.com and I've used one on 2 of my nissan stageas in the past.

Getting a boost guage would be a good idea too.

if its drive-by-wire, sometimes there can be soot build-up behind the throttle plate and that can make it sticky and less responsive...therefore it will let in too much/too little air and mess up air-fuel ratios.

Just simple stuff and if its anything like my VQ25 stagea it shouldn't be too difficult to do at home. I'm a computer guy (programmer), definitely not a mechanic - but you learn so much about the car by doing stuff yourself.